CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Suggestions on where to start :)

Well after reading Bernadette's post (u go girl!) we are so ready to start! I know we are only almost 20 weeks but i'm super excited. Just looking for any suggestions on the following:
  • How much clothes did you buy in various sizes not only for home but to take to India? (ie- how much newborn, 0-3mo, etc.) Is newborn too big for babies born in India? Should i like 1 pack of preemie clothes??
  • How much diapers did you purchase in advance? and in what sizes/amounts? (FOR A SINGLETON- LOL)...we are not having twins, so i think we can be on the safe side not to purchase 700 diapers B...but i was SO tempted..lol..thanks for the website, i love it!!
  • How many suitcases did you take for baby pick up?
  • Male diaper bag? or a daddy friendly one :)
I was in the store the other day (Carter's- major baby sale- 50% off entire store plus coupon!!) and i realized how much newborn clothes do i need? how much 0-3mo? and I looked lost! LOL...i did buy a few items (newborn and 3 months...they didn't have 0-3months in neutral stuff, errr). PLUS- Hubby wants a diaper bag that he can carry (meaning not a Juicy Couture bag I fancied the other day!)

Any advice for baby pick up would be great too..we leave in 3 1/2 months (i know it feels like forever away!)

8 comments:

Tandoori Viking said...

Hi! We had a singelton at 36w5d and he weighted 3850g and was 51cm tall! He was definitely a size 50(=newborn size).
Also, we brought about 300 diapers in size 1 (Pampers) with us to India. That was a whole suitcase. I don't know how long you need to stay in India. Count on 10 diapers per day for a newborn.
The same suitcase was filled with fantastic baby/kids clothes on our way back. So, my hottest tip is, just buy stuff for your hospital stay (about 3 bodysuits, 3 pairs of pants and 2 newborn hats). Try to be in India a couple of days prior to your baby's birth and find the nearest Mothercare, Mom&Me or, even better, Lilliput store and start shopping. You can, of course, do this after your baby is born aswell - then you know which colors you prefer. We bought clothes up to 3-4 years of age and sent several parcels back home since clothes were much cheaper aswell. Mothercare has good big pack's with bodysuits and pants. Good price and quality aswell.
Good luck! You have such exciting time coming up :)

Kerrie and Mark said...

I agree with Anu, bring diapers!! We took 200 and were short about 100 - but we were there for 4 weeks after birth - you will be home much quicker as long as baby is ok. We opted to take clothes with us and not chance it. We took clothing that would wash and dry easily by hand. The India stores are quite cheap but we could not find alot when we were there for Cailyn and were glad we brought lots of clothes. Take muslin blankets (Aden+Anais) - these are great, hand wash and dry super quick! We used a back pack style diaper bag which we personally found a pain in the a$$! Take a thermos with you for hot water - thermos' in India were expensive by my books. The clothing we took was all new born size and it worked out well, was actually too big in most cases, but the preemie size was too small. Its gonna be HOT when you are there so remember that when planning what to pack for all of you! So EXCITED for you!

Mandy said...

Love you guys for the DETAILED tips...thats what i was looking for...so no back pack style Kerrie??

Doug and Bill said...

Being two dads I highly recommend Diaper Dude diaper bags. We put one on our registry and it was bought right away. They have subdude (lol) patterns and some crazy camo patterns too. We are getting diapers in different age sizes, definitely not 700 like Bernadette! I am still in shock that that had 700 diapers in it! CRAZY. 20 WEEKS YAY!!!!!! So super excited for you guys!

Tandoori Viking said...

Won't you have a washing machine when in India? :-O There must be some executive apartments in Delhi aswell? We stayed at Marriott executive apartments in Mumbai and washed as often as we ever wanted. Lovely place, miss it a lot.

Edward said...

OMG!!!! I HAVE SOOOOO MISSED THE LAST FEW ENTRIES FROM YOU!
CONGRATULATIONS. We're SO SO SO happy for you both, another shining example of persistence!

FANTASTIC!!! ...and 20 weeks...where the heck have I been?!?!

God bless and Godspeed! It'll all start to happen quickly now and you'll be in India in no time at all.

In terms of 'stuff' we definitely over packed clothing for our trio but I agree with everyone else that diapers in newborn size is a good thing to bring with you. A Moses basket was a must for each of our girls (we used Phil & Teds) and lots of blankets to swaddle.

We mostly kept the girls in one-sies and swaddled them....so really didn't need the socks nor pants nor cute little outfits nor hats we brought.

I'm so excited for you!!!!

CONGRATS again...smiling!!!

Stephaniekb said...

I agree with Ed that onesies (with feet) are best for baby pick-up; hotels can get cold with the AC on. Lots of little mittens for hands, too, and a bunch of blankets so you can find out which swaddle your baby best. WE bought diapers in India (fairly cheap there) but brought our own formula from home because of quality concerns -- think we brought 4 large canisters with us, which was more than enough for 3 weeks with an infant. Not sure where Anu was from, but I thought Mothercare was WAY overpriced compared to US baby clothing prices. I bought most of our infant clothing at Goodwill, because I knew once I got back to US I'd want to buy gender-specific colors/styles. Biggest consideration is whether your hotel offers laundry inexpensively -- if it does, you can bring less clothing.
Best thing we brought to India was a bouncy seat -- we bought one that looked easy to disassemble, and it was great to have something to put baby in when he was awake, so he wasn't lying down all the time. I know it seems hard to believe right now, when you're eager to have a baby in your arms, but you will want to put him/her down sometimes!

Carrie Jo said...

Mandy,

Unless you have a huge baby (unlikely w/an Indian surro) 0-3 month clothing will be WAY too big. Bring newborn stuff...and maybe a few premie outfits. Slightly too-big clothing is usually ok. I agree footy PJ's are the best. I'd bring something like 14 pair of them (if you have a baby who spits up all the time like Bella did, you'll still hand-wash these a few times).

We planned to buy (but then didn't have to, because my mom did) gender specific clothes when we got back to the US.

We brought diapers--probably only 100 or so, and then bought the rest in India. They weren't that expensive, but I might bring more diapers with me to India if we get to do this again. We also brought formula, b/c we wanted Bella on organic formula and didn't want to switch her.

I agree with Stephanie that I thought baby clothes in India were pretty pricey. I think you can get much better deals here at home.

I agree--no backpack diaper bags. Side-open ones...and we got a black one Shawn could carry without looking like he was carrying a purse.

Let's see, blankets are good. We also took some swaddling blankets (a must-have for newborns, in my opinion), a thermometer--seriously useful, both for temperature taking and helping out a bowel movement if needed (sorry, I know it's gross!), and we took and Ergo baby carrier that I swear by. They're expensive, but it was the only one that is made to keep your back and shoulders from getting unduly strained. If you don't want to go that pricey, tons of my friends swear by Moby wraps, which seem like a good alternative.

Hope this helps. Enjoy making baby purchases! I can't wait for these next few months to pass for you!